Kicking off the first of the Hacking Social Media tutorials, I have put together a video tutorial teaching you how to create a DJ website in just one hour (‘ish)! For those of you that do not have a website, I would strongly recommend you take a look at this web design tutorial.
Let’s set the Record Straight
Websites can be created extremely quickly, and can be hosted over the course of 12 months for less than $30. Bearing in mind that just Soundcloud alone can cost $99 per annum, it can also prove to be a cost effective exercise for promoting your brand!
How to Create a Website –> What’s involved?
- Why you would need a website as a DJ?
- What is a domain name?
- How to register a domain name
- How to setup the web hosting
- Installing WordPress
- Installing WordPress plugins
- Adding some content and some Soundcloud mixes
Sign Up for Social Media Hacks!
Why Create a DJ Website?
- They are easy and quickly setup
- The investment in a website is a long term benefit
- Google / Bing / Yahoo can naturally drive traffic to your website through the search engine
- Having a website portrays a level of professional
- Have a private and personal email, such as dj@JoeBloggs.com
- A website allows you to bring all of your brand assets together in one place
- E-commerce is an option. You can retail tickets, merchandise, even your latest releases
- Running a website is incredibly time effective (if you run it correctly!)
- Another platform your fans to connect
- Many more reasons!
For newbies, please don’t worry, even the most advanced web developers had to start at the same point. The good thing is that these days, it is extremely easy, and rather quick to put together.
The website that we created in the video can be seen here – Fictitious.DJ. I’ll be updating this as we go along, and will be the main case study for our social media hacks.
Take your time when working through the tutorial if this is your first time creating a DJ website. The domain name registration and database configuration can be slightly intimidating, but if you can mix two tracks together, this is a walk in the park!
Finally, I’m aware that the website, http://Fictitious.dj is a little thin on content at the moment. More content will be added later 🙂
In the meantime, please take a moment to check out the website of D-Tention, a Techno / Tech House DJ. Like our websites – D-Tention’s site is also created in WordPress and shows a much more refined and more developed environment to promote one’s products.